Old dogged headphones made new

Clockwise from top: The driver mount and the cutting tools, my Dremel and template, the red shell of the ear muffs

Many years ago my parents bought me very good headphones for my 21st birthday. A few years later my dog thought that she could give them a smooth make-over. I could only recover the drivers, their mounts and the audio connectors. Everything else went through her gut.

I borrowed an idea from Simon Strehler‘s friend who had built headphones out of industrial ear muffs. My project died shortly after I had bought the ear muffs and didn’t have the tools to retro fit the drivers.

My OT suggested that I take my old projects and finish them, instead of starting more projects which never get completed!

Clockwise from top: The driver mount and the cutting tools, my Dremel and template, the red shell of the ear muffs
First I cut out the mount to fit into the ear muff shell.

I used a white marker to mark the lines to cut the mount so that it would fit into the red shell.
I sat outside because the workshop was being used to make a cabinet for the laundry.

The flat cutting tool on the left was used for the initial rough cut, and then the spongy looking tool was used to sand the edges till it snapped comfortably into the shell like the template. The template was the piece that snapped into the ear muff shell.

I was so eager to test the sound – a few years ago I checked the electronic joints (solder points) and they were fine pieces of joinery, so freaking fine that I needed a magnifying glass and a bright light. I carefully put them away once they were fixed the first time. I plugged all the connections together and…
NO sound. This time I took it to my brother-in-law who soldered the fine wires back to where they needed to go, but before he got the drivers I glued the connectors rigidly to the plastic holder so that it would not be so delicate.

See those two shiny bits?

I must have imagined taking more photographs, cause I cannot find the one that I wanted to upload :(

Next came the fun part, which was annoying too.
Once the driver mount was fitted snugly into the ear muff, the connector jack was not lining up. So I cut the hole bigger and then saw that I used the Right driver mount instead of the Left driver mount.
I had a solution though – Pratley clear epoxy!

But I made too many scratch marks


I used clear tape strips to keep the epoxy in place, but I didn’t know that the sticky stuff reacted to the epoxy by becoming extremely hot. The tape came off once the epoxy became hard enough to remove the tape.

When I was in Std 5 (grade 7) I had a project where I made a very smoothly polished hexadecagon resin-paperweight. Therefore I knew about sandpaper and polishing. So to get the plastic all nicely smooth, I used several methods which I won’t get into here. What I can tell you is that I really enjoyed myself!

I gave up when I couldn’t wait for my retro-headphones any longer
It needed to look neat, not perfect. Just good enough for my eye!

And then all I wanted to do was to listen to music…

To make sure the jack would fit, I put the headphone together. I spent time cutting and adding a bit more epoxy. This time I did not polish the surface.

Input jack well fitted

Once I was happy that everything was functional I put all the pieces together, added more epoxy, waited an hour and plugged in my new-old retro-headphones!


After finding this old project I took roughly a week to finish – I now have good old Sennheiser [drivers] inside!

A wee bit over-kill, but I like the sound more than the looks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.